Brené Brown studies human connection — our ability to empathize, belong, love. In a poignant, funny talk, she shares a deep insight from her research, one that sent her on a personal quest to know herself as well as to understand humanity.
Interesting Ted Talk.
- Connection gives purpose and meaning to our lives
- If you cannot measure it, It does not exist
- We need to believe in worthiness
- Vulnerability – birthplace of joy, belonging, creativity, and love
- We numb vulnerability then you numb everything
- We make the uncertain to certain
- Blame – a way to discharge pain and discomfort
- We pretend that what we do doesn’t effect people
- Be authentic and real and say it
- Let ourselves be seen, love with our whole hearts even though there is no guarantee
- Practice gratitude and lean into joy
- Believe: I am enough
Interesting observations by our head of schools Mr. Corcoran,
- Shame drives the behavior of our students
- Shame drives the behavior of our parents
- What would happen if we were able to love our students and that they weren’t always judged by their academic performance, and college acceptances.